Toys

hand the child put the batteries in the red toyElRoi/Shutterstock

Mom was right: It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Toys accounted for an estimated 251,366 injuries in 2017, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System. That includes these two popular toys.

Batteries, especially the small button-sized kind often used in electronic devices, can be deadly accessories if swallowed. “They burn a hole in the esophagus rather quickly,” says Diane P. Calello, MD, executive and medical director of the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System at Rutgers–New Jersey Medical School in Newark. In case of potential poisoning, be sure to call the national Poison Help hotline at 1-800-222-1222 or text POISON to 797979.

Laundry detergent

Tide podsArne Beruldsen/Shutterstock

Hopefully, this fad has passed: The Tide Pod Challenge got a lot of press when teens decided to eat the detergent-filled pods. Unfortunately, the colorful candy-like pods are extremely appealing to younger kids. The pods contain a concentrated chemical cleaner and are packaged in such a way that they’re meant to break open when they come into contact with moisture. “They basically explode,” says Calello.

And they don’t have to get in your mouth to do major damage. Clare Bohrer, a 28-year-old living in Manhattan, New York, had a laundry pod snag on the edge of the washing machine and squirt into her eye. Five days after an ER visit and plenty of agony, her cornea is mostly healed but her vision still isn’t 100 percent. “It was painful to move, cry, blink, and even open my good eye,” she says. These are the 5 things you should never do in an emergency.

Hot tubs

Hot tub.kurhan/Shutterstock

They’re lovely apres ski or for a romantic evening, but they’re also dangerous. A report published earlier this year in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report found that a full third of waterborne germ outbreaks occurred in hotel pools or hot tubs. Many of the pathogens that cause these infections can withstand chlorine, the chemical routinely used to kill water-dwelling microorganisms, and can cause serious infections. Here are 8 more reasons to think twice about hot tubbing.